4.29.2011

Waffles for Dinner = Winner

Let's be honest... one of the best things about being an adult is the fact that we get to eat whatever we want when we want it. And while usually my conscience tells me to throw something green into my dinner, I wanted nothing of the sort last night. I wanted breakfast. So I made breakfast. Like that logic?


I had originally been scouring through Lidia Bastianich's Lidia's Italy for a new recipe to try. But pretty much everything required me to go to the store. And while the spaghetti with clams beckoned, going to the store just wasn't in the cards. But hey, what's the next best thing to spaghetti with clams? Waffles... obviously. But without buttermilk in the fridge, I had to search for a new waffle recipe. Enter Google + search term, "best waffle recipe". Voila - best waffle recipes galore!


 
Good waffles are easy to come by. Great waffles aren't. The perfect waffle has a golden, crunchy exterior, but is soft and doughy in its interior. Crunchy waffles 101: Separating the eggs! Mix the yolks in with the rest of the wet ingredients, and then beat the whites until they're light but stiff. Then fold the whites into the full batter. Crunch perfection.





 A lil' extra cinnamon in the batter doesn't hurt.















I also felt the need to make something healthy... but still breakfasty. So I grabbed all the fruit in my fridge and blended up a pineapple/strawberry/banana smoothie. Delightful.

So here's to making adult decisions... breakfast for dinner.



The Best Waffle Recipe
adapted from Serious Eats
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 2 egg whites
Plug in the waffle iron so it's good and hot when you pour the batter in.
In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center.
In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in milk and oil.
Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (should be lumpy).
In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. I recommend beating w/ an electric mixer if you don't want your hand to fall off in the process.
Gently fold egg whites into flour and egg yolk mixture. Do not overmix.
Spoon waffle batter into your waffle iron, making sure not to overfill it. 
Cheers!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment