4.04.2011

Cake Madness

In the spirit of March Madness, I went a little mad myself. In honor of my alma mater, Butler University, dancing its way to the NCAA national title game (yeah Dawgs!), I attempted... The Cake Pop.



Cake pop, you ask? What in the world? It's this... or this... ooh or this. Cute little things, right? I thought so. However I learned very quickly that despite their delectable taste, they are evil. They suck up hours upon hours of your night, give you sugar-induced coma, and don't even come out remotely cute looking. I spent over 4 hours creating these little things and I didn't even bake the cake from scratch (blasphemy!). I quite literally laid on my kitchen floor at 11:30pm, with melted chocolate up to my elbows, cursing the cake pop name. My neighbors must have thought I was doing chemistry homework or something. But they tasted good. Delicious even. So... here's the recipe in case you are far more patient and artistic than I. 

 I guess they can't be all bad if this is how they start...
Which turns into this...

And then into this...

Which turns into these!


And eventually these!!




 





GO DAWGS!

Cake Pops
Adapted from everywhere on Google, but particularly Seakettle

50 lollipop sticks (or 25 for a half batch)
Cake mix of your choice
Frosting
Candy melts or chocolate bark (I used white chocolate chips... bad idea)
Tube of black gel icing or edible pen
Wax paper
Styrofoam block (I did not have one. I strongly recommend you use one)

Bake your cake according to the directions (I know, I know...)

Once the cake is cool, cut it into 4 large pieces and place in a very large mixing bowl or another cake pan. Mix in the tub of frosting until you get a smooth consistency. If you're using chocolate cake, the mixture should look like dirt. Mmm.

Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and roll the cake mixture into small balls. Voila - the cake ball!

Freeze for 30 minutes. In the meantime, melt your chocolate in a double boiler (or a makeshift double boiler). Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.

Dip a lollipop stick in the melted chocolate, then slide halfway into a cake ball. Dip the cake ball into the melted chocolate until it is mostly covered. Then insert into a styrofoam wreath of some sort. Highly recommended... I did not have one and I sorely regret it.

Let dry and decorate... hopefully your decorating skills > mine.

Let's go BU!

No comments:

Post a Comment